Whether you’re planning a comprehensive remodel or a brand-new structure from scratch, the services of an architect can be a worthwhile investment.
Remember that different architects specialize in different types of projects, so be sure to choose one who has experience with structures similar to the one you’re planning.
1. Do your homework. At the consultation, the architect will have a long list of questions about the ways you’ll want to use your space, the aesthetic you’re trying to achieve, and other goals you’d like to satisfy. Be prepared to answer these thoroughly and thoughtfully. Bring photos of design features and elements that appeal to you.
2. Make sure your ideas match with those of the architect. Once the architect has gotten some input from you, they will draft a set of sketches to begin bringing your vision to life. Take your time reviewing these sketches and discuss anything that doesn’t correspond with your vision or wish for the space. This is the time to make changes—before construction has begun or finalized plans have been made.
3. Don’t be shy about asking for help. Architect’s plans can be challenging for the untrained eye to decipher. Be sure you understand the details, and do not hesitate to ask for an explanation for any aspects that you find confusing. Reading a floor plan can be complicated and challenging. They are there to assist you.
4. Seek input about fixtures, finishes, and surfaces. If you aren’t working with an interior designer, ask your architect for guidance about selecting one.
5. Contract with your architect for site visits during construction. It will add to the bottom line, but having your architect on hand to be sure the design intent is carried out correctly will save time, headaches, and money in the long run.